Monday, September 29, 2008

Africa in Rio (at Yorùbá again)

Not only did I discover Brazil in Ghana (see my previous blog posting), I once again discovered Africa in Brazil, and not only in Bahia. In October, 2006, my husband and I made a trip to Rio, and ate at a delightful restaurant called Yorùbá, with a charming atmosphere. I was happy to find not only the ubiquitous Afro-Brazilian dishes (like acarajé the descendant of West Africa's akla [a.k.a. akara, accara, kosai, koose, and kose], or carne de sol and various moquecas, but actual African specialties as well (like ewa, fried fish with yam, okra and dried shrimp, and shrimp piri piri. The staff kindly let me carry home one of their menus. When I returned to Rio during our 5-month stay in Brazil last winter, guess where my intrepid colleagues Theresa and Margarida (see my December 10, 2007 posting for more info about them) insisted on taking me? To a great little African restaurant. Right: Yorùbá again, but with new menus. This time I was accompanied by part of the culinary elite of Rio, we got royal treatment, and I had a chance to chat with chef/owner Neide Santor. I highly recommend stopping in there if you're in that part of Brazil.

2 comments:

Femme said...

hey thanks.been looking for an African restaurant in Rio, will def check it out.

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Thanks for sharing..
Now, I know Christmas is a long way off;
but, I just couldn't wait...

I'm in the midst of gift-wrapping an extremely early Christmas present for all my delightful favourite bloggers -
it'll be ready this evening -
so, if you'd like to pop by my blog anytime after that, you may pick it up and enjoy..:)